Being able to just hang out in Florence has been really nice. This weekend, I’ll be staying in Florence which I’ve missed doing for the past two weekends. While I love travelling and I am obsessed with the other cities I’ve been to so far, nothing compares to my life in Florence. I love my apartment, my friends, the food, the people, my classes, the architecture…everything! Tomorrow we’re going on a trip that our program provides to the aquarium in Genoa and then Sunday we’re going to a Fiorentina soccer game!
Anyways, back to the food. Eggplant Parm has always been one of my favorite meals. So, when I found out we were making it in my Italian Vegetarian Cooking class, I was pretty pumped. And, the eggplant wasn’t breaded so it was a little healthier!
- 750 g eggplants, sliced thin
- 300 g tomato sauce
- 75 g grated parmesan cheese
- 150 g mozzarella, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil to fry, as needed
- salt the eggplant and let sit for at least 30 minutes to extract excess water from the eggplant. after the 30 minutes, rinse the salt off and pat dry.
- pan fry the eggplant until both sides are browned. make sure the oil is very hot so that the eggplant does not soak up the oil right away
- in a mould, layer eggplants, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and parmigiano
- bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 15-20 minutes. (it should be a little more baked-looking than in my picture)